Transfer of Certification
Effective April 1, 2009, and consistent with the terms of the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) and the BC/AB Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement (TILMA), the Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC) will certify and register Applied Science Technologists (AScT) and Certified Technicians (CTech) applicants who are currently certified in another jurisdiction in Canada, in accordance with the provisions of these Agreements.
To practice in British Columbia, registration in ASTTBC is required. Registration requirements for previously certified/registered applicants from other jurisdictions are listed below:
- Review this Transfer Endorsement and complete the Interprovincial Transfer Application in full.
- Have the issuing authority in the Province from which the transfer is being made attest to the good standing of the current certification/registration.
- Mail the completed application to ASTTBC (incomplete applications will be returned) with a transfer fee of $50.00 plus 5% GST ($52.50), payable to ASTTBC.
- Applicants who have not completed Ethics training in the jurisdiction from which they are transferring may be required to complete a jurisprudence examination on the Applied Science Technologists & Technicians Act & Regulations of British Columbia and the ASTTBC Code of Ethics.
- This transfer policy only applies to registered Technicians and Technologists in the recognized disciplines of registration.
- Only transfers maintaining dual membership will be required to pay pro-rated dues. This is unless they have not paid for the current year to the association/Agency from which they are transferring.
- If you maintain membership in two associations, you may be eligible for reduced dues in the province of non-residency.
Reciprocity Agreement with Other Organizations
A Reciprocity Agreement exists with the following organizations listed in the links below. The Association will accept applications in accordance with these Agreements as may be approved by the Council of ASTTBC. Notwithstanding any agreement, no registration may contravene the Act or Regulations.