Categories of Membership
A certified member is one who has met the required standards of registration and who practices in a discipline approved by the Council of ASTTBC. Upon certification the certified member shall be registered either as an Applied Science Technologist or a Certified Technician.
- An Applied Science Technologist (AScT) will hold a minimum of a Diploma of Technology or its equivalent.
- A Certified Technician (CTech) will hold a minimum of a Certificate of Technology or its equivalent.
- All certified members will have demonstrated to the Board of Examiners the required academic standards and the completion of two years, accumulated, progressive, relevant experience in an approved discipline at the appropriate level of experience.
Provisional Membership (AScT Provisional and CTech Provisional)
A Provisional AScT or Provisional CTech is an ‘internationally trained professional’, one who has completed academics in a country other than Canada; these academics having been assessed by the Board of Examiners as being equivalent to that of an ASTTBC or Nationally Accredited Program of study. The Provisional member will be required to demonstrate to the Board of Examiners that their international work experience is at the appropriate level (Technologist or Certified Technician), which is verified by professional references. Provisional members will have five years to achieve full certification that includes a minimum of one year experience to demonstrate understanding of Canadian standard in the applicable discipline at the appropriate level of membership.
The ‘Provisional’ member status would be identified by the member having his/her designation (AScT or CTech) followed by the word ‘Provisional’ in brackets after their name, i.e. AScT (Provisional) and this status would also be tracked within the internal data base of ASTTBC.
At any time within the five years, the Provisional member may, upon achieving the required applicable minimum Canadian experience, apply for reclassification to have their Provisional status reclassed to regular certified membership. A technical report reflecting their Canadian experience may be required by the Board of Examiners at the time of reclassification.
Upon expiry of the five years of Provisional membership, the Board of Examiners will reassess the members file which may result in the member being reclassified as an Associate member if it is apparent that the member is unlikely to be able to progress to having the Provisional status removed.
Associate membership is a temporary membership category and is granted to a person approved by the Board of Examiners, and who, by his/her training, experience or employment meets the general standards of Registration and indicates their intent to actively seek certified membership, but does not currently meet either or both of:
- The Association’s academic standards
- The Association’s experience requirements
Effective February 1, 2003 all Associate members are expected to achieve certified membership within five years of joining the Association as an Associate member or re-apply to the Board for a new upgrading program.
Graduate Technologist and Technician (GradTech)
- A Graduate Technologist is a person approved by the Board of Examiners, who has successfully graduated from an ASTTBC or National Accredited program of studies leading to registration as an Applied Science Technologist.
- A Graduate Technician is a person approved by the Board of Examiners, who has successfully graduated from an ASTTBC or National Accredited program of studies leading to registration as a Certified Technician.
- A Graduate Technologist/Technician is expected to seek certified membership within five years of graduation or of joining the Association.
A Student Member is a person approved by the Board of Examiners, who is enrolled in a program of studies approved by the Board of Examiners, but has not completed the full requirements for registration as an Associate or Graduate Member.
An honorary member is a non-certified person who has contributed to the development, advancement and welfare of applied science technology and whose nomination is approved by council.
A Life Member is a certified member who has made an exceptional contribution to the Association and whose nomination is approved by Council.