Transfers under AIT/TILMA

Effective April 1, 2009, and consistent with the terms of the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) and the BC/AB Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement (TILMA), the Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC) will certify and register Onsite Wastewater Practitioner and House Inspectors who are currently certified/registered/licensed in another jurisdiction in Canada, in accordance with the provisions of these Agreements. All other Technical Specialist Categories certified and registered by ASTTBC are not subject to the AIT/TILMA Agreement.

To practice in British Columbia, registration in ASTTBC is required. Registration requirements for previously certified/registered/licensed applicants from other jurisdictions are:

  • Complete the appropriate ASTTBC Transfer Application Form in full (contact ASTTBC for the correct form).
  • Having the issuing authority in the Province from which the transfer is being made attest to the good standing of the current certification/registration/license.
  • Mail the completed application to ASTTBC (incomplete applications will be returned) with a transfer fee of $125.00 plus GST, payable to ASTTBC.


Additional specific policy requirements for individuals wanting to transfer under AIT/TILMA for registration as a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner (ROWP) are:

  • Completion of a Jurisprudence Exam that examines for knowledge of:
  • the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Act & Regulations of British Columbia and the ASTTBC Code of Ethics
  • the BC Sewerage System Regulation and the Standard Practice Manual for Sewerage Systems (SPM)
  • Completion of a  Letter of Affirmation confirming they have read, understand, and will abide by the ASTTBC Code of Ethics, the B.C. Sewerage System Regulation and the B.C. Standard Practice Manual.

Newly Licensed Onsite Wastewater Transferees will also be subject to ASTTBC’s Practice Assessment Program as per all new certified/registered Licensees and should visit the ASTTBC Wastewater Website for more detailed information on practice audit policy requirements.

Individuals wanting to transfer to ASTTBC as a Certified Property Inspector or Certified House Inspector are required to have knowledge of the British Columbia Institute of Property Inspectors’ (BCIPI) Standards of Inspection (SOI) and should visit the BCIPI Website for more detailed information. In addition to ASTTBC Certification/Registration, individuals wanting to practice as House Inspectors in British Columbia need to also apply for a Government license from the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Authority

Home Inspector – License Application