Transfers under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA)
Consistent with the terms of the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA), the Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC) will certify and register Onsite Wastewater Practitioner who are currently certified/registered/licensed in another jurisdiction in Canada, in accordance with the provisions of these Agreements. All other Technical Specialist Categories certified and registered by ASTTBC are not subject to the CFTA Agreement.
To practice in British Columbia as an Onsite Wastewater Practitioner, registration in ASTTBC is required.
- Apply for Transfer at https://www.asttbcapply.ca/
Additional specific policy requirements for individuals wanting to transfer under CFTA for registration as a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner (ROWP) are:
- Completion of a Jurisprudence Exam that examines for knowledge of:
- the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Act & Regulations of British Columbia and the ASTTBC Code of Ethics
- the BC Sewerage System Regulation and the Standard Practice Manual for Sewerage Systems (SPM)
- Completion of a Letter of Affirmation confirming they have read, understand, and will abide by the ASTTBC Code of Ethics, the B.C. Sewerage System Regulation and the B.C. Standard Practice Manual.
Newly Licensed Onsite Wastewater Transferees will also be subject to ASTTBC’s Practice Assessment Program as per all new certified/registered Licensees and should visit the ASTTBC Wastewater Website for more detailed information on practice audit policy requirements.