Under ASTTBC Bylaws, all practising registrants of ASTTBC are required to complete their Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements by November 30 of each year.
Currently, registrants are required to:
- Complete 12 hours of eligible CPD activities between December 1 and November 30;
- Within these 12 hours, complete a minimum of 2 hours of training or activity focusing on Indigenous awareness and reconciliation; and
- Record their CPD activities within ASTTBC’s online system by November 30.
Eligible CPD Activities (2023 CPD year)
Recently, we streamlined our list of eligible CPD activities. Based on your feedback, we made it easier, and straightforward, for registrants to achieve their CPD goals. Listed below are the eligible activities that we recognize under our CPD program.
|Eligible Activity||Description||Examples of Eligible Activities|
|Courses||Completing a structured course or online program.||Post-secondary technology course. |
Code update training course.
Indigenous cultural awareness and reconciliation education program.
|Teaching||Teaching a course or training program.||Teaching a code update course as a part time lecturer.|
|Presenting||Presenting at a professional symposium (conference, workshop, or seminar).||Presenting at a conference about topic affecting your discipline at a conference.|
|Content Development||Creating informational or instructional content related to a Registrant’s practice.||Creating instructional materials, exercises, case studies, surveys or exams for a course, training program, workshop, seminar or webinar. |
Writing technical papers, articles, chapters or reviews that may be published in journals, books or submitted for professional or commercial purposes.
Contributing to the development of codes, standards, innovative processes, applications of technology and patents.
|Conducting Research||Process of identifying a question, gathering information, analyzing and evaluating evidence, and drawing conclusions.||Reading books, journals or technical publications including online web searches related to the work you do or plan to do.|
|Technical Training||Receiving training from an informal structure or from an unapproved training provider.||Attending seminars, workshops, webinars, technical field trips, or on-the-job training provided by your employer or a supplier of equipment or services|
|Volunteering||Contributing to the development of the profession and the community of practice on an unremunerated basis.||Participating on education boards, industry advisory committees or similar profession-related organization or association activities. |
Volunteering as a subject matter expert for ASTTBC (e.g., as an investigator, providing expertise or feedback on technical issues or practice-related inquiries). Volunteering as a member of a statutory committee.
Please note: Restrictions and limits may apply to the number of hours a registrant may count towards their CPD in a given year. Please refer to ASTTBC Bylaws, Schedule F for more details.
Ineligible CPD Activities
While we have expanded our list of activities that we now recognize, we have also provided clear guidance on what activities are ineligible for CPD credit. This includes:
- Activities that are completed as a key part of a Registrant’s full-time employment or practice.
- CPD activities that are repeated within the same CPD cycle.
- Activities that are not related to a Registrant’s practice or do not contribute to the betterment of their ability to carry out their practice.
- Activities that are undocumented or unverifiable when completed.
- Courses that are partially complete.
- Activities that are completed outside the December 1 to November 30 timeframe of the CPD year.
Guidance & Frequently Asked Questions
To help registrants navigate their CPD requirements, we have collected and answered some of the most Frequently Asked Questions based on inquiries from the past year. We encourage registrants to regularly review these FAQs as their primary resource for up-to-date information.
Moreover, for 2023, we have produced a new guideline outlining the updated CPD requirements. This guideline is currently under final review and will be published shortly.
Last, to help registrants fulfill their mandatory training or activity focused on Indigenous awareness and reconciliation, we have compiled a list of recognized and recommended Indigneous awareness training providers and activities.
CPD Extension & Accommodation Policy
Under section 55.3 of the ASTTBC Bylaws, a registrant may submit a written request to the registrar for an extension to complete annual CPD requirements if there are extenuating medical or other circumstances.
If submitting a written request to the registrar for an extension, please follow the steps as outlined below.
- Review the CPD Extension & Accommodation Policy
- Download and complete the applicable form
- Email a copy of your form to ASTTBC registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CPD Extension Request Form
- CPD Accommodation Request Form – Disability
- CPD Accommodation Request Form – Reason Other than Disability
If you have further questions or concerns regarding CPD, please contact email@example.com.