On or before November 30 of each year after their first registration renewal, ASTTBC registrants are required to complete CPD requirements under sections 54.1 and 55.2 of the ASTTBC Bylaws. The annual CPD requirement is 20 hours. Registrants are required to complete and record their CPD in the Registrant Portal by November 30, 2022.
An important aspect to highlight with respect to the type of CPD required is with Indigenous Awareness. Each year, all practising registrants must complete a minimum of two (2) hours of their annual requirement focused on this important topic. To assist you with meeting this requirement, ASTTBC has purchased course licenses from Indigenous Awareness Canada (IAC) which you have access to for free. Register for our Indigenous Awareness Training here.
Note: While Indigenous Awareness CPD is mandatory for all practising registrants, ASTTBC recognizes that taking the course may cause hardship for Indigenous registrants and requests for accommodation should be sent to Jason Jung, Director, Professional Practice & Development at email@example.com.
CPD Extension & Accommodation Policy
Under section 55.3 of the ASTTBC Bylaws, a registrant may submit a written request to the registrar for an extension to complete annual CPD requirements if there are extenuating medical or other circumstances.
If submitting a written request to the registrar for an extension, please follow the steps as outlined below.
- Review the CPD Extension & Accommodation Policy
- Download and complete the applicable form
- Email a copy of your form to ASTTBC registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org
- CPD Extension Request Form
- CPD Accommodation Request Form – Disability
- CPD Accommodation Request Form – Reason Other than Disability
Guide & FAQs
Please review ASTTBC’s 2022 CPD Requirements & Reporting guide below for detailed information on eligible CPD activities, recording, Indigenous Awareness Training, and FAQs.
Q: I am running out of time – how can I meet my annual CPD requirements?
A: There are a number of ways that you can meet your CPD requirements, a detailed list of which is provided on the last page of the 2021 CPD Requirements & Reporting guide below. We invite you to contact email@example.com should you have any questions or require additional support in meeting your CPD requirements.
Q: What if I cannot complete my CPD requirements on time? Can I get an extension?
A: If you have extenuating medical or other circumstances that will prevent you from meeting the CPD requirements on time, you may submit a written request for an extension of time to the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org. The registrar may grant an extension if satisfied that extenuating circumstances warrant additional time for completing the requirements. Any extension will be reported to the Audit and Practice Review Committee under section 55.4 of the ASTTBC Bylaws.
Q: What happens if I don’t complete and report my CPD by November 30?
A: If you do not complete your CPD by November 30, you will receive a written notice of non-compliance. Those who do not complete the required CPD hours by December 31 after receiving a notice of non-compliance may be fined up to $500.00 under section 55.6 of the ASTTBC Bylaws. Please remember that for those who require extra time due to extenuating circumstances, this situation can easily be avoided by requesting an extension.
Q: How do I report my CPD?
A: The 2021 CPD Requirements & Reporting guide below includes step-by-step instruction on how to log into the registrant portal and report your CPD hours. It includes screenshots to assist you in accessing the CPD log.
Q: Can I get extra support?
A: If you require additional assistance, we invite you to reach out to our staff at email@example.com.
In our ever-changing technological environment, the public expects that technologists, technicians and technical specialists keep informed of the latest developments in their practice. Registrants are required to hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public, including the protection of the environment and the promotion of health and safety in the workplace.
In accordance with the ASTTBC Bylaws, all practising registrants must complete annual continuing professional development (CPD) requirements relating to their practice.
This applies to all practising and temporary registrants only. Please see a top level overview of our categories of registration and the capabilities that apply to each category.
This is only a partial listing of CPD requirements. For the full listing, refer to the requirements listed in ASTTBC Bylaws for more clarity.
- ASTTBC registrants are required to achieve 20 CPD hours per year.
- An overview of the activities eligible for CPD hours is presented below.
- The Registrar or designate shall annually issue to all ASTTBC registrants a notice of their CPD status for the current calendar year by November 1 of the current year.
- The Registrar or designate shall audit the CPD activities and the CPD hours claimed by registrants.
- On or before April 1 of each year, the Registrar or designate must submit a report summarizing registrant compliance with CPD requirements to the audit and practice review committee which identifies the number of registrants who are compliant and the names of registrants who are not compliant.
- A registrant may submit a written request to the registrar for an extension to complete annual CPD requirements if there are extenuating medical or other circumstances.
- The CPD reporting requirements for registrants with more than one ASTTBC designation shall be 20 CPD hours regardless of the number of ASTTBC designations held, unless otherwise required.
CPD hours overview (detailed info in ASTTBC Bylaws):
- Formal or structured learning: 1 CPD hour per 1 hour of activity*
- Informal or self-directed learning: 1 CPD hour for every 2 hours of activity*
- Community or volunteer engagement: 1 CPD hour for every 3 hours of activity*
- Employment or Practice: 1 CPD hour for every 1 month*
*to a maximum of 8 CPD hours per year
For further information on CPD requirements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have experienced concerns with regards to ASTTBC’s continuing professional development partners or vendors listed in our CPD listings, please also contact us at email@example.com and we will be happy to assist.