Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
MANDATORY CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
In our ever-changing technological environment, the public expects that technologists, technicians and registered technical specialists keep informed of the latest developments in their practice. Registrants are required to hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public, including the protection of the environment and the promotion of health and safety in the workplace.
In accordance with the ASTTBC Bylaws, Part VI and Schedule F, all practicing registrants must complete annual continuing professional development (CPD) requirements relating to their practice.
- This applies to all practicing registrants.
- This does not apply to non-practicing registrants such as students, retired or honorary registrants.
3. KEY COMPONENTS OF ASTTBC CPD
This is only a partial listing of CPD requirements. For the full listing, refer to the requirements listed under ASTTBC Bylaws, Part VI and Schedule F for more clarity.
- ASTTBC registrants are required to achieve 20 CPD Hours per year.
- A description of the activities eligible for CPD Hours is presented in Table 1 below. The activities are sub-divided into 4 categories. The maximum CPD Hours per category that may be claimed in one calendar year are specified in Table 1.
- The Registrar or designate shall annually issue to all ASTTBC registrants a notice of their CPD status for the current calendar year by November 1 of the current year.
- The Registrar or designate shall audit the CPD activities and the CPD Hours claimed by registrants.
- On or before April 1 of each year, the Registrar or designate must submit a report summarizing registrant compliance with CPD requirements to the audit and practice review committee which identifies the number of registrants who are compliant and the names of registrants who are not compliant.
- A registrant may submit a written request to the registrar for an extension to complete annual CPD requirements if there are extenuating medical or other circumstances.
- The CPD reporting requirements for registrants with more than one ASTTBC designation shall be 20 CPD Hours regardless of the number of ASTTBC designations held, unless otherwise required.
TABLE 1: Description of Eligible CPD Categories, Activities and Hours
|1.||Formal or structured learning||
1) Completing structured discipline or practice-related courses or training provided at or by a post-secondary public or private education institution.
2) Indigenous cultural awareness and reconciliation education programs as described in Schedule F.
3) Teaching a course or training program related to your discipline or professional practice but not as part of your fulltime job or practice.
4) Presenting at conferences, workshops or seminars related to your discipline or professional practice but not as part of your fulltime job or practice.
|1 CPD Hour per hour of activity
|1) Creating instructional materials, exercises, case studies, surveys or exams for a course, training program, workshop, seminar or webinar that you will be teaching or presenting but not as part of your fulltime job or practice.
2) Researching and writing technical papers, articles, chapters or reviews that may be published in journals, books or submitted for professional or commercial purposes.
3) Attending seminars, workshops, webinars, technical field trips, or on-the-job training provided by your employer or a supplier of equipment or services.
4) Reading books, journals or technical publications including online web searches related to the work you do or plan to do.
5) Contributing to the development of codes, standards, innovative processes, applications of technology and patents.
6) Attending ASTTBC AGM, member meetings and networking events.
|1 CPD Hour for every 2 hours of activity
|3.||Community or volunteer engagement||1) Participating on education boards, industry advisory committees or similar profession-related organization or association activities.
2) Volunteering as a practice advisor for ASTTBC registrants.
3) Volunteering as a member of a statutory committee.
|1 CPD Hour for every 3 hours of activity
|4.||Employment or Practice||
1) Employed or self-employed in a technology-related business or practice.
2) Eligible activities include management, supervising or teaching in a technology-related environment.
Note: One month of work = 150 hours
1 CPD Hour for every month
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.