Basic Requirements & How to Apply
Technologist and Technician Certification
PGA and New Bylaws Now in Effect
On February 5, 2021 ASTTBC officially transitioned to the Professional Governance Act (PGA).
ASTTBC along with the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC), the Association of BC Forest Professionals (ABCFP), the College of Applied Biology (CAB) and the B.C. Institute of Agrologists (BCIA) are now regulatory bodies identified by the PGA.
The PGA establishes a new, modernized framework for professional regulators in the natural and built environment. Included in this legislation are standards relating the governance of regulatory bodies, role of ASTTBC, setting out ethical principles and responsibilities of its registrants, which is applied consistently among PGA regulators. Registrants of ASTTBC will continue to be held to maintain high standards of conduct and competency, and will have a duty to report among other requirements.
New ASTTBC Bylaws
ASTTBC’s new bylaws are now in effect and therefore information on our website may no longer be current/applicable. We are in the process of updating this information.
Applicants and registrants are required to meet the current requirements, please refer to ASTTBC Bylaws for details.
Thank you for your patience.
Applicants for registration as an Applied Science Technologist (AScT) or Certified Technician (CTech) require post-secondary education qualification and relevant work experience. The minimum requirements are:
- Education: for AScT – a Diploma of Technology or equivalent; for CTech – a Certificate of Technology or equivalent
- Work experience: a minimum of two (2) years progressive, relevant experience with a minimum of one year at the level of registration
For more details about registration requirements please check Part IV and Schedule A of the ASTTBC Bylaws.
Internationally trained professionals that have equivalent education and work experience in other countries may be granted Trainee registration if they have not achieved required work experience in Canada. There will be a separate application process for Trainee.
An individual registered as a Technologist or Technician in another province may apply for transfer their certification under the terms of the Canada Free Trade Agreement. More details see page Transfer of Registration.
How to Apply
All applications shall be submitted on line. Applicants are requested to create a free online account in order to save the information entered.
- Select the certification category (AScT or CTech)
- Select Option A (graduates from a recognized program) or Option B (Graduates from a non-recognized program or internationally trained professionals)
- Select level of certification (Technologist or Technician)
- Select a discipline
- Complete self-assessment (refer to Canadian Technology Accreditation Criteria)
- Claim a 5 discipline-specific competencies including 3 mandatory ones and select indicators of performance for each claimed competency
- Prioritize your competencies and make the one that most reflect your experience and education the most on top.
- (Option B only) Rating each of general competencies, and select indicators of performance where requires (GC02/04 for Technologist level and GC02 for Technician level)
- Complete application and submit
- Select type of application
- Enter personal information
- Enter home address and Contact information
- Enter education information
- Select employment status and enter employment information
- Enter referees’ information
- Provide ‘education and work experience related to each self-assessed competency claimed’, as well as that related to each general competency if choosing Option B (Please provide specific information relevant to the particular competency.)
- Upload required documents as attachments to the application
- Read ‘ASTTBC Code of Ethics and Practice Guideline’ and ‘ASTTBC Privacy Statement’ and check the appropriate boxes
- Check appropriate box for opt out emails
- Submit application and pay application fee online; or submit application and pay later
- Send the original and official (or notarized translation of) transcript of marks to ASTTBC office
If you are applying for certification in a Canadian province other than British Columbia click here.
Fees for Application for Certification
The application fee is $269.06 ($256.25+GST). You can pay the fees when submitting your application online, or contact the office to arrange payment later.
If you are a full-time student or have graduated within the past 12 months from a technology program, you may apply student membership here.
If further assistance is required, please contact:
Email: email@example.com Tel: (604) 585-2788 ext. 233
Fax: (604) 585-2790