Please be advised that new registration requirements and procedures will be coming into effect as of January 1, 2024. For more information, please read through the following Notice on Upcoming Registration Changes. These new requirements will not apply to those who have current applications with ASTTBC that are completed and submitted prior to January 1, 2024.
Applicants for registration as an Applied Science Technologist (AScT) or Certified Technician (CTech) require post-secondary education qualification and relevant work experience. The minimum requirements are:
- Education: for AScT, a Diploma of Technology or equivalent; for CTech, a Certificate of Technology or equivalent
- Work experience: Completion of 24 months (3,600 hours) progressive, relevant work experience of which a minimum of 12 months (1,800 hours) must be at the technologist/technician profile of practice or higher
For more details about registration requirements please check Part IV and Schedule A of the ASTTBC Bylaws.
View: The application process
Technology Accreditation Canada (TAC) accredited programs
Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner (ROWP)
For information on the application process, go to the ROWP page.
Registered Fire Protection Technician (RFPT)
For information on the application process, go to the RFPT page.
Recognized Training for Certified House Inspector
BCIT BLDG 2915 House
BCIT BLDG 2925 House
BCIT BLOC 2935 House
Inspection 3: Report Writing,
BCIT BLOC 2945 House
Inspection 4: Field Inspection
BCIT BLOC 1500 BC Building Code Part 9,
BCIT BLOC 3050 Building Envelope Performance,
equivalent post-secondary training satisfying the competencies for inspecting residential properties to applicable codes, standards and bylaws
Successful completion of the ASTTBC House Inspection Competency Exam
Certified Property Inspector (CPI)
Be registered as a practising CTech or AScT in the Building, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, or related discipline, and
Successful completion of
Okanagan College (Vernon) CON 051 Commercial Inspections,
Okanagan College (Vernon) CON 055 Advanced Building Envelope,
Okanagan College (Vernon) CON 056 Building Code for Commercial Inspections, and
RJ & Associates Inspecting Hazardous Materials,
or equivalent post-secondary training satisfying the competencies for inspecting commercial properties to applicable codes, standards, and bylaws
Registered Reserve Fund Analyst (Limited) (RRFAL)
Be registered as a practising CHI, and
Successful completion of Okanagan College (Vernon) CON 052 Strata Depreciation Reporting and Okanagan College (Vernon), CON 053
Registered Reserve Fund Analyst (RRFA)
Be registered as a practising CPI, and
Successful completion of Okanagan College (Vernon) CON 052 Strata Depreciation Reporting and
Okanagan College (Vernon) CON 053
Or equivalent post-secondary training satisfying the competencies for inspecting, analyzing and preparing depreciation reports to applicable codes, standards, and bylaws.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants are requested to create a free online account before starting an application. Non-refundable application fee must be received before an application will be processed.
Here are the tips to complete application:
- Applicants applying for AScT or CTech are required to declare a minimum of 5 discipline-specific competencies. Applicants from path B, C and D are also required to rate themselves for all 8 general competencies. Details of education and/or experience related to each competencies must be provided as where, when and how the competency has been achieved.
- Applicants are required to request an original and official transcript sent to ASTTBC directly from the institution, either by mail (to: 10767 148 Street, Surrey, BC V3R 0S4) or email (to: email@example.com). You don’t have to upload a copy of your transcript in your application; Registration staff will do when receiving the original copy from your school.
- Internationally trained technology professionals (ITTP) are required to submit a WES or ICES full version assessment report in lieu of original and official transcript. The report must be sent from the assessor to ASTTBC directly.
- Applicants graduated from non-approved programs are required to submit a course outline (course-by-course description of learning objectives). The document should be uploaded in the Attachment tab of the application.
- Applicants who have not completed a secondary or post-secondary diploma instructed in English may be required to provide evidence of meeting English language requirement.
- Applicants who have military background are required to submit a most recent MPRR. A scanned copy should be attached to the application in Attachment section.
- A copy of current or most recent job description signed by direct supervisor is required, it can be uploaded in the Attachment section.
- Two pieces of ID are required to be uploaded to the attachment section. Check here for the requirement and accepted IDs.
- Applicants will be required to complete ASTTBC Professional Practice & Ethics (PP&E) exam (payment for the exam is required) if they meet educational and experiential requirements for registration.
GradTech, Associates, and Provisionals Applying for Reclassification
The Graduate Technologist, Graduate Technician, and Associate category of registration is in the process of “sunsetting” and will cease to exist as of January 1, 2025, to align with current legislation, bylaws, and regulations. ASTTBC invites all Graduate Technologists, Graduate Technicians, Associates, and Provisionals to reclassify to either the practicing or trainee category of registration.
If you are currently registered as a GradTech, click here for more information on how to apply for reclassification.
If you are currently registered as a Provisional, please contact registration staff for further information.
Transfer of Registration
An individual registered as a Technologist or Technician in another province may apply for transfer of their certification under the terms of the Canada Free Trade Agreement. To initiate the process, please:
- Complete Sections A, B, C and D of the Interprovincial Transfer Application in full
- Follow the instruction to submit application online
Internationally Trained Professionals
ASTTBC has published a webpage specifically tailored for Internationally educated/trained professionals. Click here for further information. Internationally trained professionals that have equivalent education and work experience in other countries may be granted Trainee registration if they have not achieved required work experience in Canada. There will be a separate application process for Trainee.
Application for Trainee
Apply for Trainee registration if you have completed the educational requirements but have not completed required experiential requirements for practising registrants. Complete Trainee Application and Supervision Agreement, pay application fee online, submit application along with other required information as indicated in the application form including Good Character Form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application for Student
If you are a full-time student enrolled in a technology program at a post-secondary institution, you may apply as a Student Registrant.
Please contact registration staff for further assistance:
Joy Santos, Coordinator, Registrations – for AScT, CTech and PTech/RTMgr
Tel: (604) 585-2788 ext. 243
Baljinder Kullar, Coordinator, Registrations – for ROWP, CSO, RCSO, CPWI, RPWT and RULT
Tel: (604) 585-2788 ext. 258
Erin Macedo, Coordinator, Registrations – for RFPT, CPI/CHI, RBD/CRD, RSIS, and RSD/CSD
Tel: (604) 585-2788 ext. 247