November 5-9 is National Technology Week 2012
National Technology Week (NTW) is an annual event that is celebrated by The Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC) with the support of many educational, human resources and technology promotion organizations. NTW is Canada's opportunity to showcase the many exciting career choices that are available today in applied science and engineering technology.
ASTTBC plays an important role in BC to enhance the awareness of careers in technology, technologists, technicians and technical specialists. Working in partnership with government, education, business and industry, professional/industry associations and the media, ASTTBC supports National Technology Week initiatives and activities.
DISCOVER EXCITING CAREER PROFILES IN ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY
CLICK HERE to visit our TechWORKS! website to discover exciting and rewarding careers in technology in over 23 different applied science and engineering fields.
ASTTBC issues PRESS RELEASES Promoting Tech Careers during NTW:
- NorKam Tech Centre a Valuable Model - Nov 1
- Government Urged to Excite Students About Science and Technology - Oct 17
ASTTBC Promotes Technology Careers in Local Papers:
Executive Director John Leech is promoting technology education and careers in Black Press community papers across BC as a lead-up to National Technology Week. A couple of weeks ago Leech was presenting to the Legislature Standing Committee on Finances saying that BC needs to build a science and technology culture and within this promote technology education and careers as technologists and technicians. John congratulated government on the BC Jobs Plan as a guide to help focus attention on career opportunities. "I recently spoke with Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Development, Pat Bell, to express ASTTBC's appreciation for including 'technical careers' along with a focus on trades," said Leech. "Pat talked about trades AND technology careers at a recent event hosted by Skills Canada. It was great to hear the Minister include technology education and careers as we see a growing concern about serious skills shortages in many parts of BC. especially in the north." Leech noted that his message is also being delivered to the BC NDP MLAs, noting recent meetings with MLAs Bruce Ralston (ASTTBC's MLA in Surrey), Rob Fleming and Leonard Krogg. "It is critical that all MLAs talk about technology education and careers in their ridings across the province."
ASTTBC executive produces NEW Kerplunks song and video to promote science and learning to youth.
"Everyday Science" is ASTTBC's newest song and video. Uploaded to YouTube, it's ASTTBC's next production which builds on the on the success of "Technology", also performed by the Kerplunks. This song is aimed at youth from Grades 4-7. "We are really excited about this great new song and hope it inspires our young people to get excited to explore science." says Jason Jung, AScT, Manager, Member & Program Development. We hope you enjoy our latest production.
CLICK below to view our music videos on YouTube:
Upcoming NTW events:
- YouThink Magazine NTW Campaign for Youth (October and November Issues) - LINK to YouThink
- Online links at the Youthink website.
- Youthink will feature a full page advertisement featuring our supporting NTW sponsors at the Event and Gold Level.
- Also stay tuned for our follow up ad in the November edition of Youthink magazine.
- Ad Campaign on Radio NL610 Kamloops during the WEEK of NTW - Tune in to 610AM!
- Traffic and Weather report sponsors on CKNW 980 and AM730 during the week of NTW. Listen in!
- ASTTBC's Annual Technology Awards & Recognition Celebration (TARC) (November 2012)
- Technology Awards given out to recipients for leadership and innovation in technology.
- Employers recognized for leadership in industry to promote careers of technologists, technicians and technical specialists.
- Silent Auction to raise money towards bursaries and financial awards to students pursuing careers in applied science and engineering careers.
This year's past events celebrating technology careers:
- Society of Punjabi Engineers and Technologists of BC Gala (January 28, 2012)
- Camosun College Trades & Technology Career Fair (February 2, 2012)
- NEGM supplement in the Prince George Free Press (March 2012)
- Enhance Bronze Sponsor of the CHBABC Annual Georgie Awards (February 25, 2012)
- Title Sponsor of the Okanagan College Annual Spaghetti Bridge Building Contest (March 2, 2012)
- Gold Sponsor of the Wood Design AwardsBC, Canadian Wood Council (WoodWORKS!) (March 5, 2012)
- Silver Sponsor of the Association of BC Land Surveyors Annual General Meeting (March 8-9, 2012)
- Sponsor of the APeGBC Popsicle Stick Bridge Contest - Sea to Sky Branch (March 10, 2012)
- Platinum Sponsor of the Consulting Engineers of BC Annual Awards for Engineering Excellence (March 31, 2012)
- ASTTBC's Annual General Meeting and Conference (May 25, 2012)
- Around the Dome Science Extravaganza at SCIENCE WORLD (Sept. 21 to Oct. 21, 2012) - LINK
- Events all month long. Visit the link for calendar events.
- ASTTBC will be at the extravaganza on October 13/14th at Science World!
- Skills Canada BC Recognition Night (October 18th)
- ASTTBC and Skills Canada BC signed a Memorandum of Agreement to mutually expand the efforts to promote careers in applied science and engineering technology to youth throughout the province of BC.
- BCIT Big Info Night (October 24, 2012)
- ASTTBC was an exhibitor at this popular event which features displays and information in a tradeshow format at BCIT. Over 3,400 people of all ages came to the Burnaby Campus to learn more about education programs. Thanks to the BCIT School of Construction & Environment for hosting ASTTBC in their faculty section. Next session is FEBRUARY 2013 - stay tuned!
ASTTBC would be pleased to hear about your event as well. Please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on NTW and ASTTBC, contact:
Jason Jung, AScT,
Manager, Member & Program Development